Foreign nationals have been suspended from entering into China since the border lockdown from 27th March, 2020.
Good news is that policy has changed, and foreigners who meet the relevant visa requirements are able to apply for visas and come to China again.
A newly applied visa is one of the required documents to enter China. You may enter China with any type of valid visas, but a Z-visa is a must to work in China. Since 27th Mar, 2020, all previous issued visas and residence permits were automatically invalid. But the good news is that visa application policy has changed/restarted in recent weeks:
- According to the notice from the Chinese Embassy in Denmark, foreigners from 36 European countries who are holding a valid Chinese Residence Permit are allowed to apply for Chinese visas from 12th Aug, 2020(See the following table for details).
- From 18th Aug, 2020, foreigners from the UK without a valid Chinese Residence Permit are also able to apply for Chinese visas, if providing the required documents (See the following table for details).
As per our checking of the official accounts for various Chinese Embassies, foreigners from these 46 countries are eligible for return. Some lists may claim 77 countries, but as per our checking, several countries within those lists are not under the policy for visa facilitation for foreigners.
List of 36 European countries
Albania, Ireland, Estonia, Austria, Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Belgium, Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Poland, Denmark, Germany, France, Finland, the Netherlands, Montenegro, Czech Republic, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Romania, Malta, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Cyprus, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, United Kingdom.
Besides a valid visa, you will be required to provide other documents for entry, mostly relevant to your current health condition. You will also have to receive a health check and at least a 14-day quarantine upon your entry.
Before entry, you should also prepare:
- A Health Declaration Form (download the blank form the website of Chinese embassy)
- Nucleic acid test (with negative results) for COVID-19 within 5 days before boarding
- A flight ticket
- Please contact the Embassy and/or Visa Application Center for possible newly required documents, since the policy changes frequently