When should I apply?
The time from application to arrival is around 2 months with the new visa rules so use this as your starting point. Depending on your specific situation this time can vary further, such as if you need to study a TEFL or are awaiting your Degree certificate.

Does my nationality matter?
To qualify for a Visa in China working as a English Teacher (Z Visa) you must be a passport holder from the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa. This is a legal requirement from Chinese Immigration.

Do I need a TESOL/TEFL certification?
Yes. 120 hour TESOL/TEFL certification is required.

How long is the contract?
Contracts are 12 months with no shorter contracts offered.

What will happen when I arrive in China?
When you arrive in China, your employer will pick you up at the airport and put you in a hotel for up to 4~7 days. During that time we will help you find an apartment, open a bank, get a phone card and begin you training.

How can I open a bank account I China?
Your employer will take you to the bank in your first 1-2 days in China and help you open an account so all you have to do is sit there and sign your name. You will be given your card the same day.

Do I need to speak Chinese?
No. Chinese never used in the classroom. Most cities in China have English road signs and English metro stations. Most restaurants have food in English.
Free Chinese courses are provided. So, you can study in your office time to learn some basic survival Chinese when you arrive, to help you get by in situations where English is not possible.

Is my flight paid for?
Yes. Your flight is reimbursed.

Z Visa(working visa) processing time:
Document preparation for your visa can take between 2-4 weeks in your home country before you are ready to submit them to your employer. Your employer will then translate them and submit them to the Bureau of Foreign Affairs. Then they process the documents and issue the Work Permit, typically between 14-28 days later. Once this is issued you can arrange to go to the Chinese Embassy and pick up your Work Permit and fly to China.  → Learn More About Required Visa Documents

Who will pay for my visa?
You will pay initially and have your money reimbursed once you arrive in China and have your bank account set up.

How much money should I bring?
We recommend that teachers bring around $300 USD to last them until their first paycheck which may be 1 month from their arrival. → Check Packing List

→ Learn More about Teaching English in China